Digital Health Innovation: A Key Driver of Next Generation Healthcare – What and When?
Digital Health covers a broad range of technologies that combine digital health derived data, with communications technologies and software to impact on healthcare – improving care pathways, healthcare efficiency, health outcomes and the patient experience. Digital Health encompasses both software and hardware resulting in products, solutions, and services across all therapeutic areas. The explosion of interest in digital health innovation is linked to exponential increases in healthcare data available from electronic medical records, imaging, molecular pathology, longitudinal and genomics data, plus the ability to monitor patients using sensors and digital biomarkers, coupled with major advances in data analytics and artificial intelligence.
Recent years have seen a tsunami of investment in digital health innovation rivalling the funding seen in Biotech. This is driven by the potential that new technologies may offer to positively address some of the biggest challenges and opportunities in healthcare. “Game changing” value may be realised through early disease detection, diagnosis and prevention, precision and personalised medicine, synchronous treatment of mental and physical conditions, and closed loop models of care, in addition to improving healthcare efficiency and building datasets that can contribute to outcomes and value-based medicine.
However, this wave of innovation is still early in the lifecycle with many uncertainties over how innovations can fit into existing clinical pathways. There are a range of novel business models, and this is stimulating reappraisal of certain aspects of regulation and reimbursement. Concerns around value, ownership, and monetisation of health data are being discussed, which highlight important regulatory, public trust and ethical issues. While Digital Health applications range from AI in drug discovery to wellness and consumer health, this panel will focus on technologies that are being applied in a clinical setting.
Join us to explore examples of digital health innovation that are successfully impacting on patient outcomes and hear panellists address some of the following key topics and questions:
- Which currently available digital health innovations are having the biggest impact on patients in the real world?
- What are the emerging business models which appear to be most successful and what can we learn from these?
- How are healthcare systems evolving to be in a better position to integrate and benefit from digital health innovation?
- How can digital health companies best satisfy the needs of patients, clinicians, the healthcare system, and their investors?
- Where will the next wave of digital health innovation come from and where will we see the greatest impact on health?